Architecture Linked - Architect & Architectural Social Network

Hi everyone!

As I'm sure everyone here is well aware, over the last couple of decades CAD and BIM software like AutoCAD and Revit have steadily all but taken over a lot of the fundamental areas in architectural planning.

With that in mind, I'm going to take advantage of the very international community we have here and ask a question that has come up quite often recently:

What software solution do you use predominantly at your firm, or at your school?

Or perhaps more to the point, what, if any, software is used most often as a "standard" in your country?

Here are a few of the popular ones, just off the top of my head:

Vectorworks, All Plan

The AutoCAD family, Revit

Archicad

Bently Architecture

I'm also very curious if anyone still uses an orthodox all-paper approach, and whether it's still viable these days.

Lastly, how many of you out there routinely use Sketchup for the early stages of planning?

The reason I ask is that many of us at my school here in Tokyo are a little confused as to what tools are commonly used outside of Japan. Even here teachers can't seem to agree on whether Vectorworks or AutoCAD is dominant locally.

Looking forward to your inputs!

Tags: archicad, autocad, bim, cad, revit, sketchup, vectorworks

Views: 1512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends. When you draw in licensed software you relax, but if it steal, police can come to your office.
Meanwhile, what happening in Pakistan? India? Concern to software.
vector work for all
CAD and I don't know why :D:D
but I think it's not our decision it's our community one.
Like everyone else said, mostly the CAD software by Autodesk (Autocad & Revit Families), Vectorworks, Archicad, Bentley, among the most used. In my personal case, I use Autocad, Revit and Sketch Up as my primary design/drafting tools, however, I am still one of those who prefer to do some free hand sketching for the preliminary stages of design and then, go on the computer with Sketch Up to start visualizing my concept sketches...once I have an overall idea that I like, I've reached the point in which I start to draw my concept in either Autocad or Revit. Hope that answers a bit your question.

Jacob Avila / Mexico.
we use CAD , Photoshop & 3d MAx
i m Architecture student frm NEPAL n we normally use AUTO CAD for 2ds n #d -MAX for 3ds...bt i prefer more to sketchup as it is very easy n time consuming software:)

Lee. AutoCAD was the world dominant CAD.....in 20 century, and early 21. As I see, you have to look to the BIM concept.

Many people use Revit. Is the most popular BIM soft on earth. I recommend ArchiCAD for plans, sections, elevations and Technic documentation. Really easy to use, to learn and to show a project on it. Runs on Mac and PC. 3D OpenGL engine, and a totally parameterizable large object library. For render, you can use Artlantis, 3DS Max Mental ray, Cinema 4D Cineman, or V-ray plug-ing on both of them. Greetings.    

latest time work in linux ubuntu.

cad software for linux is DraftSight & BricsCAD. Meanwhile, people say about archicad on linux across the wine VM. Portable.

All of these are good.  For large scale projects in "big firms" in the States I've only used Revit for 2d/3d, I'm guessing for all it's programming/phasing organization capabilities ... the project is then exported for any rendering purposes.  Should any project require a more refined modeling program, such as for parametric based design, I would suggest; Rhino's Monkey and Grasshopper plug-ins, ParaCloud, Generative Components, and ArchiCAD's new plug-in (whose name escapes me just now).
Autocad & 3dsmax :)
In my studio we use Archicad and sketchup as well as atlantis for 3d.

interesting to follow the answers, but i miss someone who really uses a BIM software - and in it - especially the bim-functions.

I tried different solutions so far (vectorworks, revit, allplan). But in my almost 4 years as an architect - i never worked in

an office which uses the whole bim-functionality. Drawing with walls instead of lines and use them to get building mass is

easy - but using this information for the further building process (costs/allocation and so on) requires a 3d-model which is always up-to-date. AND its a very complex software - so everybody in the hole office needs the knowlegde...

So we are using bim-software (i´m from germany) - but not with all its features. We do competions with vectorworks (its the best software to draw nice plans) and allplan for factory plans.

I use Rhino and maya for 3d - if someone is interested you can visit my blog:   blog16zu9.wordpress.com

RSS

© 2014   Created by ArchitectureLinked.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service