Originally built in Catalonia the early 1700s by Franciscan priests, the Sant Francesc Convent was sacked in 1835 and was left to deteriorate for over 150 years. It was demolished in 2000, leaving only the ruinous church still standing. Architect David Closes was given the project to covert the remains of the church into an auditorium with a multifunctional cultural facility. Rather than completely reconstructing the aged structure, historical wounds are left visible, with the new elements kept deliberately distinct from the old. The original dimensions of the church have been maintained, and even the partial collapse of the roof has been used to bring in natural light.